The organized unit of United Methodist Women shall be a community of women whose purpose is to know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ; to develop a creative, supportive fellowship; and to expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church.
President: Mary Fran Parkman, 919.846.4860, Email
Vice President: Linda Sparks, 919.740.8272, Email
Secretary: Martha Biggio, 919.847.9959, Email
Treasurer: Pat Kosak, 919.847.3088, Email
Membership Co-Chair: Arlene Eckert, 919.761.9766, Email
Membership Co-Chair: Gail Scruggs, 919.554.4824, Email
At North Raleigh United Methodist Church, we currently have six UMW Circles that are within our church. Each circle determines where God is calling them to serve and how the group can participate in God’s mission through United Methodist Women. We support a variety of missions through “hands-on” participation in service projects and through our fundraising activities which provide monetary support to local, national and international missions. UMW Circles meet monthly from September through May. Members of all the Circles come together several times a year for special events such as the Spring Tea, Bake Sales, Salad Supper and our Fall Bazaar.
The Circles are:
- Agape – meets on the second Thursday of the month at the church at 10:00 a.m. in room S4. Chairperson is Lois Arnold: Email or call her at 919.846.5324.
- Circle of Joy – meets on the second Tuesday of the month at the church at 7:00 p.m. in room S1. Chairperson is Susan Mitchell: Email or call her at 919.847.7489.
- Covenant – meets on third Monday of the month at 12:30 p.m. in Room Y1. Chairperson is Martha Biggio: Email or call her at 919.847.9959.
- Footprints – meets on the third Monday of the month at the church at 7:00 p.m. in room S3. Co-Chairpersons are Melinda Morrison (Email or 765.278.1064) and Kate McGinnis (Email or 919.302.2360).
- Koinonia – meets on the third Thursday of the month in member’s homes at 9:30 a.m. Chairperson is Sharon Sondergard: Email or call her at 919.848.7766.
- New Beginnings – meets on the third Monday of the month in member’s homes at 7:30 p.m. Co-Chairpersons are Jean Weikel (Email or call her at 919.846.6631) and Jan Lapp (Email or call her at 919.847.1803).
- Reflections – meets on the third Thursday of the month in Room S2 at 10:00 a.m. Chairperson is Ellender Mills (919.847.4099).
- Member At Large – Women who would like to participate in UMW activities but are not a member of a Circle can become a Member At Large. Information is sent out to these members on a regular basis about upcoming events and participation in activities is encouraged. Contact either Mary Fran Parkman, UMW President, (919.846.4860 or Email) or Natasha Bolick, MAL Coordinator (Email or 919.395.6904).
Please feel free to contact any Circle Chairperson for more information about their individual circle. We invite you to attend a small group circle, a large group event, become a Member At Large or volunteer for a fundraising project. There’s a spot for you in United Methodist Women!
In 2013, the North Raleigh United Methodist Women raised over $12,500 which was donated to 28 different missions that benefit women and children. Listed below are a few of those we support:
Local missions – 14 including:
- Hilltop Home
- Interfaith Food Shuttle
- Interact Women’s Shelter
- Meals on Wheels
- Methodist Home for Children
Global Missions – 6 including:
- Heifer International
- Opportunity International
Local Church Missions – 8 including:
- Good Samaritan Fund
- NRUMC Music Ministry
- Habitat for Humanity Home
- Hearts and Hammers
- NRUMC Scholarship Fund